I’ve got to say, this is by far my favourite age yet! Besides the teething, Amelie has become such a little character and I absolutely love it. She’s 5 months old, and the best company ever!
– Rolling over. Another milestone, woohoo! All I’m going to say is – it’s bloody hard trying to change Amelie’s nappy these days.
– Jumperoo. Although they’re recommended from 6 months, Amelie would jump up and down on our laps; so we just went along with her (as always). I’ve never seen Amelie happier than when she’s in her jumperoo – she loves the freedom of being able to bop around on her own!
– Cuddles. Before, I was only able to cuddle Amelie when settling her to sleep. Now, I’ve had to master eating one handed because she loves a good cuddle. Amelie is quite literally attached-to-the-hip at the moment, and I am not complaining one bit. OK, except when I could do with a nap myself.
– Baby classes. Since the start of January, I’ve been taking Amelie to a class called ‘Story Stars’. There’s nothing like the way Amelie lights up when the group leader sets off the bubble machine during story time. She loves it! I’ve met some lovely mamas, and Amelie has met some cute little baby friends. So, it’s a winner all round.
– Swimming. Me and Cyril took Amelie for her first swim this month, and it’s safe to say that she loved it. She’s a real little water baby!
– Teething. This little baba is not enjoying teething. Obviously. We’re neck deep in baby bonjela, and a huge fan of Calpol at the moment.
– Wearing clothes. Yep, you read that right. Pop her nappy on, and she’s ready to go. Clothes are out of the question for Amelie. Putting a coat/jacket on her is a whole other story. Little madam!
Current Feeding and Bedtime Routine
There we were bragging about Amelie’s sleep routine, and then teething came and bit us on the bum. It’s not the sleeping that’s a problem, it’s the settling her in the first place. A few weeks back, me and Cyril spent 2 hours trying to settle Amelie to sleep. 2 hours! How am I supposed to let her self soothe when she is so upset?! I just couldn’t. So, I cuddled her for the whole 2 hours. Besides that, Amelie generally sleeps from 8-9pm to 7-8am. She’ll then have a little nap until 10am. Amelie’s day naps are pretty much non existent as she’s terrible for fighting sleep during the day, but on a good day she has an hour’s nap in the afternoon.
Amelie was last weighed at 12lbs 3oz and is now having 6-7oz of milk every 3-4 hours. She’s definitely showing signs that she’s ready for food, but I’m persistent on waiting until 6 months. I am the biggest worrier ever. Amelie isn’t quite sitting up yet, so I want to wait until she reaches that milestone before weaning. And, in all honesty – I’m a nervous wreck about it all. I’ll be sure to write a post once we get started!
What I’ve Learnt Since Last Month
Me and Cyril have had many debates over who wears the trousers, but we’ve quickly learnt which tiny tyrant wins that debate. Amelie Encelan. If she doesn’t want to wear a coat, she is not wearing one. If she wants to put her own dummy in, she puts her own dummy in. If she’s tired, don’t we bloody know it. I’ve learnt that I have to work around this little diva unless I want to turn grey before I reach my 20’s.